My first ever 3-tier Cake.. with a little surprise in it
Name: Harsh Trehan
Date of Birth: 20th April, 1998
PS: Please don’t judge me by my age. you can know more about me on http://www.facebook.com/foodsurgeon my official Page.
THE FLOOD CAKE:
About the Dish:
This is a 3-tier chocolate cake which is filled with loads and loads of flavor and an amazing theater on cutting. When you cut the cake, you get the amazing combination of molten chocolate ganache, raspberry jelly, whipped cream, caramel, and crunchy butterscotch wafer. This whole cake is covered with a multi-coloured fondant to give it a nice colorful and creative side of the kid in me :).
Story Behind My Creation :
It was 6th november, 2014, i was 16 years old and it was my mom’s birthday. Coincidentally it was also the day for the auditions date for Masterchef India 2014 for chandigarh. I worked all night to create this unique dish which ruled my mind for ever. i worked the whole night and reached the venue at 6 am. The line was already a huge kilometer! my cake and i finally reached the entrance, and suddenly someone asked me my age. The fact that i was 16, people could not control themselves and started shouting. no one let me in. It was a fail. I didn’t give up, and posted this cake on my page, which became the first official signature dish of Harsh Trehan.
Cake (per tier)
100 ml Vegetable oil
175 gms powdered sugar
140 gms Maida
3tbsp Cocoa Powder
3tsp Baking Powder/Eno
1 tsp Indian Vanilla Essence.
equal measures of Dark/Milk chocolate and Cream.
You get a small packer of Raspberry Jelly from the grocers, Thats enough.
50 gms butter
- Grease a 22cm silicone microwaveable cake pan with a little oil and place a circle of baking sheet at the bottom.
- Mix sugar, flour, cocoa and baking powder in a bowl. In a jug, whisk the oil, eggs, vanilla and 100ml hot water until combined.
- Add liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly until you have a lump-free batter. Pour mixture into the cake pan and gently tap to pop any air bubbles.
- Microwave for 7 mins. Remove and check if the cake is cooked by poking a skewer into the middle: if it comes out clean it is ready. Allow cake to stand for 5 mins.
- DO THIS PROCESS FOR ALL 3 CAKES!
- Now slice off 4 cylindrical holes in the cake and stuff them in layers(FROM BOTTOM TO TOP):-
- Raspberry jelly
- chocolate ganache
- a molten chocolate block
- whipped cream.
Between each tier, spread a lot of butterscotch crunchy wafers entirely.
Now Finally cover the whole cake with readymade white fondant (to save time), then cover it with small colored fondant circles.
Slice it and ENJOY!
I hope you like this kid’s little creation and i hope you will try this at your home! Dont forget to tag me on instagram @harsh.trehan and on facebook on my page Harsh Trehan Specialités at http://www.facebook.com/foodsurgeon . Please comment below and let me know what more can I do to improve this cake!